Earlier this year, I received an email from Matt Donley, a reader and listener of Smart Passive Income, telling me he was going to quit his job. His side gig was going so well, he was ready to let go.
A few days later, I received this in my inbox:
“Oh crap. I'm so terrified right now.”
He goes on…
“My boss is really disappointed. I feel like I'm “giving up on the team.” I was expecting to feel so much happier right now but I just feel awful. I hope it gets better from here. I wish I had someone to talk to who actually understands what I'm doing. Everyone is acting like I'm being completely irresponsible or don't know what I'm doing. They don't understand that I've been planning for this outcome for 2 years.”
Today, I'm happy to welcome Matt Donley on the SPI podcast who is still working for himself and successfully running his online business. He owns a site called MasterSketchUp.com, which teaches people how to use SketchUp, a 3-D modeling software that I actually used for over a year when I was still in the architecture industry.
We cover his entire story, including how he was able to break away from the 9 to 5 and launch a successful business from the side gig he had in his after work hours.
Show Me a Selfie and Get a 30 Minute Skype Call with Me!
You hear me talk all of the time, but I'd love to see who I'm talking to!
Simply snap a photo of yourself (a selfie) listening to the SPI Podcast (or in a convenient location after listening to the episode—do not snap a photo while driving or in any unsafe condition!) and then upload it into the comment section below! Just click on the image icon next to your comment field:
One random commenter who leaves a photo will be selected to have a 30 minute Skype call with me. I'd love to help you answer any questions you might have to help you with your online business, or maybe you just want to chat for 30 minutes—it's up to you!
I will randomly select one winner on Friday, June 13th and update this post with the winner's name. I'll also email the winner via email too.
Thanks, and I look forward to seeing your face and where you listen to the show!
Note: I've already awarded the giveaway, thank you to everyone who uploaded their photo, and if you haven't yet I'd still love to see you and where you listen to the show!
And Finally…Thank You!
Reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them, and feel free to share your URL there so I can contact you later on and say thanks!
And lastly, if you have any questions (or would like answers to previously submitted voicemail questions!), head on over to AskPat.com! The bite-sized show has over a million downloads and counting!
Cheers, and thanks again!
How and why Matt Donley quit to go full-time with his side gig.
- How Matt went from carpenter to online business owner.
- The “mindset trick” Matt had when he started his site that helped him succeed (and help others see he was legit)
- The first comment on his blog and how it scared him half to death.
- How Matt started to monetize his site, and how a small goal of $1/day turned into actually earning over $260/day.
- Details about Matt’s 280-page book and how long it took him to write and then sell it on his site (all while he had a full time job)
- The launch strategy Matt used to promote his new product, and how he did it much better than me when I first launched.
- The importance of affiliate marketing in the promotion of Matt’s products.
- The advantage you have by not being an expert.
- Why an image of his face and his wife matter on a software tutorial website.
- How not focusing on SEO helped him with SEO.
- Plus a whole lot more!
- MasterSketchup.com (Matt’s Site)
- Are You Taking Advantage of Your Unfair Advantage
- Reader Challenge Roundup – Conducting an Interview
- DIY Video Guide by Caleb Wojcik
- Derek Halpern
- Yaro Starak
- The Ultimate Guide to Using Google Hangouts on Air
- SketchUptoLayout.com (Matt’s Product Site)
- Made to Stick by Chip and Dan Heath
- Let Go by Pat Flynn
- Matt’s Master SketchUp YouTube Channel
- SPI Podcast Session #101 with Ken Kelly
- SPI Podcast Session #84 with Derek Halpern (about the Bonus Sandwich)
Click the button to the right to download the whole episode in PDF form from start to finish.