I am so excited for you to meet this week’s guest: Susan RoAne. She’s generous, she’s brilliant, and she’s been a huge inspiration to me—she even manages to make me blush in this episode. Her superpower? How to work a room.
Susan was one of 1,200 teachers who lost their jobs during a massive layoff of San Francisco public school teachers. She got the idea to start a career change workshop, designed specifically for teachers. The next thing she knew, she had 100 people on her waiting list. That workshop became a book, and that book led to many more books. Now, she’s helping thousands of people network, mingle, and feel comfortable in any room.
I feel comfortable in a room with people I know, but a room full of strangers—that still scares me, and I usually shy away into a corner. This isn’t exactly something they teach in school! That’s why I’m so thankful for Susan. She’s a genius at making people feel confident and comfortable. Her advice worked for me, and I can’t wait for it to start working for you, too.
If you loved my SPI Podcast Session (#121) with Jordan Harbinger, think of this as Level 2. With all the holiday parties and events this time of year, it’s the perfect time to put Susan’s tips into action. Get ready to work a room!
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Remember to check out Susan’s two free resources, her Holiday Tips and the How to Work a Room infographic, and let me know what you think in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The SPI Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions (or would like answers to hear previously submitted voicemail questions!), head on over to AskPat.com. This bite-sized show has over two million downloads and counting!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
A huge thank-you to Susan for joining me this week. It’s been such a joy to have her. Until next time!
Susan RoAne joins me on today’s episode to tell us how to network, mingle and work a room.
- The big first step, and why it should happen before you even arrive.
- How to nail a self-introduction in nine seconds.
- Tips for virtual encounters, and why they’re just as crucial as in-person interaction.
- Why you have to toss your agenda, for our sake and yours.
- How small talk can be huge.
- When to ask questions, when to talk about yourself, and how to balance it all with your “O.A.R.”
- Ingredients for a great first impression.
- How to leave a conversation gracefully.
- What to do when you forget a name.
- Where to put your name tag, and so much more!
- Susan’s website
- Holiday Party Tips
- How to Work a Room
- How to Work a Room [Amazon affiliate link]
- What Do I Say Next? [Amazon affiliate link]
- The Secrets of Savvy Networking [Amazon affiliate link]
- Smart Passive Income Podcast Session 121: A Crash Course on Charisma – A Guide to Winning In-Person Encounters with Jordan Harbinger