Chad Collins creates truly massive events. Imagine putting on an event with tens of thousands of people, tons of vendors, like Comic-Con but for your industry—that's what Chad does in the LEGO and Minecraft space. As Chad says, creating a massive event is the most powerful thing you can do for your audience. Today he'll explain how he got started and offer strategies and insights for following his example.
Seem a little out of your scope? Don't be so hasty! Events change lives and can be transformative: They create connection, bring communities together, and offer irreplaceable experiences. If you've ever considered putting on an event, or even if you just want to peek behind the scenes, this is the episode for you.
I first met Chad at Craft + Commerce, which ConvertKit puts on in Boise, ID. His story is just completely mind blowing, but what struck me about his presentation was how approachable the idea of throwing an event suddenly seemed. You can do it too! [Full Disclosure: I'm a compensated advisor and an affiliate for ConvertKit.]
Now, is this for everybody? Not necessarily, but don't rule it out either, at least not without listening to this interview. Chad's going to give you an insider's look at his journey, from his first event all the way to nationally-touring events with tens of thousands of attendees. We'll discuss strategies for working with vendors and influencers, selling out tickets, and a lot more, so get comfortable and press play!
And by the way, you can also find Chad on OpenWorldEvents.com to find out about all his events and when they're coming to a city near you.
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Chad Collins for joining me this week. Until next time!
According to today's guest, throwing a massive event is the most powerful thing you can do for your audience. Here are some of the strategies he uses to sell out tickets.
- Website: ChadCollins.me
- Why Chad loves doing what he does: Creating massive family events with tens of thousands of attendees.
- The educational, mission-driven purpose behind Chad's business.
- Why Chad thinks you should consider incorporating events into your business.
- How Chad got his start with event planning, and how he enticed vendors for his first event.
- How Chad determines the price points for his events.
- Why Chad got started creating Lego videos for YouTube, and what kept him going.
- Where Chad hosted the first Philly Brick Fest and how he marketed and planned it.
- How Chad created relationships with vendors, influencers, and more for his first event.
- The legal relationships between Chad's events and LEGO and Minecraft.
- How Chad pulled off a Minecraft event, even though independent Minecraft events flopped, historically.
- The strategies Chad uses to bring big names to his events.
- The “Billy Joel Method” that Chad uses to sell out his events, and more!
Note: Some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I receive a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Open World Events
- Craft + Commerce
- Brick Fest Live
- Philly Brick Fest
- Young Innovators Fair
- Chad Collins on Instagram