Ryan Gorman is an entrepreneur, but he's also an inventor. Ryan's been essential in my own journey, and I wanted to invite him on to share a little more insight about the product creation process. From prototyping to protecting your IP, to selling and marketing your product—Ryan's the man to talk to. Whether you've created a physical or digital product yet or not, you need to listen to this episode!
I met Ryan kind of randomly in a coffee shop in Franklin, Tennessee (of all places!). I was so blown away by his story that I had to get him on the podcast. At the time I didn't even know that I'd be inventing something in the future, so I'm really grateful that our paths crossed. Ryan is an expert when it comes to this stuff and he's got a ton of fantastic information to share with us today.
Maybe you have an idea for a product, maybe you're just sitting on it because you don't know what to do next. How do you take an idea and develop it?
Ryan's got advice at every turn—how to prototype with 3D printing, how to improve your design, how to navigate the various legal hoops, how to market your product, and how to protect your ideas. Click that play button and let's dive deep into product creation with Ryan Gorman!
If you want to check out my upcoming live trainings, all you have to do is go to SmartPassiveIncome.com/live. Whether you're just starting out, want to start a podcast, or have some questions, I've got something for everyone!
I'm always looking out for game-changing tools that can make a difference for you and your business. Today I want to introduce you to Gravy—I actually had the founder, Casey Graham, on the SPI Podcast in Session 312. If you have any kind of month-over-month recurring payments, you need to check Gravy out. Failed payments are a huge struggle and a massive hole that a lot of entrepreneurs don't do anything about. Gravy acts as an extension of your team to recover failed payments in a friendly, effective way. It's saved me 76 percent of my failed payments, which is tens of thousands of dollars. You'd be silly not to use it. Check it out at AllGravy.io/pat. [Full Disclosure: As an affiliate, I receive compensation if you purchase through this link.]
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Ryan Gorman for joining me this week. Until next time!
Learn the inside scoop on product development from an entrepreneur with over fifty inventions: How to prototype, sell your ideas, and protect your intellectual property at every step.
- Website: @TheRyanGorman
- How Ryan's career led him from music to product development and over fifty inventions.
- A big, tough lesson that Ryan had to learn from an early invention.
- Strategies for discovering new ideas for products.
- Why you don't need a large amount of capital to get started developing products.
- How to find a 3D printer and get your product made quickly, even if you don't know the software.
- How to protect your inventions, and when to ask collaborators to sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement).
- How to guide your product through prototyping to make it the best it can possibly be.
- When you should go to a patent lawyer, and why you shouldn't try to write a patent yourself.
- What you can expect from the patenting process.
- How to market and sell the products and ideas that you create.
- The biggest hiccup that Ryan has experienced and what you can learn from it.
- A quick litmus test for new product ideas, and more!
Note: Some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I receive a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Smart Passive Income Podcast Session 126: How to Get Paid for Your IDEAS
- Orca Chaser
- The Weekender Cooler Bag
- Fusion 360
- 3D Hubs
- Smart Passive Income Podcast Session 270: What You Need to Know Before You “Get Physical” with Richie Norton
- Ryan Gorman on Facebook