This month, I'm on a mission to learn everything I can about creating and selling a stellar physical product. That's why today I'm talking to Tom Montgomery, co-founder of a hugely successful clothing company with a massive fan following, Chubbies Shorts.
Tom and his friends had a problem: Mainstream men's fashion didn't offer much variety when it came to shorts. They craved options with more personality, designed for all kinds of bodies. With help from word-of-mouth marketing and a totally unique brand voice, Chubbies quickly grew a devoted following, all without sacrificing their one-of-a-kind vision for building community.
In this episode, Tom offers a glimpse into Chubbies's content creation process and how they've built such a loyal customer base. You'll also hear why they avoid getting “sales-y” on social media, their most successful campaigns to date, and tips for finding a unique brand voice of your own. As a newcomer to the world of physical products, I learned so much sitting down with Tom, and I know you will too. Listen and enjoy!
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Tom for joining me this week. Until next time!
Today, I'm joined by Chubbies co-founder Tom to talk about selling a physical product with help from a massive, engaged community of fans.
- What makes Chubbies's brand voice so unique, and so effective as a marketing tool.
- How Chubbies attracted a record-breaking 350 million video views last year.
- The frustration that inspired four friends to create a retail clothing company.
- Strategies for finding an authentic writing voice for your content marketing.
- Why Chubbies trusts community relationships to create demand for their product.
- What happens when you use social content to build community rather than sell.
- Advice for maintaining control in the uncontrollable world of entrepreneurship.
- How Chubbies uses fan-generated social content in their marketing strategy.
- The hilarious ad spot that put Chubbies on the map, and more!
Click the button to the right to download the whole episode in PDF form from start to finish.