In this session of the Smart Passive Income Podcast we begin a back-to-back-to-back series of success story interviews where we get inside the heads of people who are running successful online businesses and learn about how they’re making it happen.
These interviews get deep into the start-up stories and business models of people who are specifically NOT making a living online by teaching other how to make money online, social media or blogging. These are amazing people doing some amazing work and making a living in niches you wouldn’t really expect.
I ran a series of success stories on the podcast before (with multiple success stories per episode), and it was a major hit, so I’m excited to come back and start sharing new success stories with you today.
This time, however, I wanted to spend a little more time with each story, so each session contains just one but it goes deeper into it than if I were to only spend 10 to 15 minutes like I did before.
To be honest, it wasn’t planned that way, but the interviews were just so good that I had to keep asking more questions—so 10 to 15 minutes wasn’t nearly enough time.
Featured in Today’s Session…
Today I’m excited to share the story of Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus, two friends who started a blog, The Minimalists, without really knowing what they were getting into: an extremely crowded and saturated niche.
Impressively, in about a year, they’ve each left their corporate jobs, obtained over 100,000 subscribers, published 3 books—and the list goes on and on.
I won’t get into too much detail here (I’ll leave that to the audio or transcript), but the story illustrates that you don’t need to avoid overly crowded niches—you can take them on full steam and use the crowded space to your advantage.
In this session you’ll hear:
- Why Joshua and Ryan, who were both extremely successful in the corporate world, decided to change gears and go on a completely different path in life and in business.
- How they were able to create a business online through a blog that was about their journey.
- What their primary source of income is and the business model behind it.
- How their blog was able grow so fast in a short period of time.
- Specific strategies for selling eBooks and getting exposure in the Amazon Marketplace.
- A discussion about whether or not all passions are profitable.
- The top things to consider when getting into an extremely popular niche.
- Plus more…
Right click here to download the MP3
Items mentioned in this podcast include:
- The Minimalists
- Minimalism: Live a Meaningful life (Amazon Kindle)
- John Melley (my voiceover guy)
- Exile Lifestyle
- Becoming Minimalist
- Zen Habits
I hope you enjoy this session of the SPI podcast! Please leave your comments for Joshua and Ryan below and if you haven’t done so already please check out my free eBook how-to guide, eBooks the Smart Way.
Cheers, and all the best!
Please subscribe below to the podcast to get automatic updates for your device:
Click Here to Download the Transcript for Session 35 (PDF)