In today's episode, I'm digging deep into one of the murkiest, most mysterious territories for beginning business owners: the legal ins and outs of running a business.
I see too many entrepreneurs abandon their great ideas thanks to legal confusion or copyright snafus, which is why I've brought two lawyers here today—Richard Chapo and Alena Herranen—to walk you through everything you need to know. Richard and Alena will answer the questions I hear you asking over and over, covering everything from trademark law and copyright infringement to affiliate marketing and content disclaimers. You'll get actionable tips for improving the legal language on your website, finding business insurance, knowing when to seek out a lawyer for help, and a whole lot more.
Get a pen ready—this is legal advice every entrepreneur needs to hear!
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me again this week. Have some feedback you'd like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The SPI Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions (or would like answers to hear previously submitted voicemail questions!), head on over to AskPat.com. This bite-sized show has over two million downloads and counting!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Special thanks to Richard and Alena for joining me this week. Until next time!
Richard Chapo and Alena Herranen
I'm joined today by two lawyers, Richard and Alena, to talk through common legal considerations for entrepreneurs and the best ways to protect yourself as a business owner.
- The two most important legal steps you should take when starting your business.
- What to do when someone copies your content online.
- Pros and cons for common ways to structure your business.
- What you should know about starting your business in a different state.
- Tips for trademarking your brand and copyrighting your content.
- A crash course on fair use, public domain, and other content licenses.
- The key to legally responsible affiliate marketing.
- When and how to attach disclaimers to your website and content.
- Advice on business insurance, budgeting for legal expenses, and more!
Click the button to the right to download the whole episode in PDF form from start to finish.