YouTube From Scratch

Part of the All-Access Pass course library, learn how to start a YouTube channel and create valuable video content that attracts the right audience and generates revenue (even if you’re scared of video).

It’s the course we wish we had years ago…

YouTube From Scratch is a step-by-step online course that teaches you how to create a new (or optimize an existing) YouTube channel, develop relevant and engaging content, grow your followers, and monetize your channel.

Plan Your YouTube Channel

Learn how to choose a unique angle for your channel so that you can stand out. You’ll learn how to choose video topics and make decisions about your filming, publishing schedule, and video length.

Create & Set Up Your Channel

Learn how to use YouTube Creator Studio, including branding and customizing the look of your channel, uploading videos, and all the little tweaks that will help you get more views.

Publish Your First Video

Use the Video Brainstorming Worksheet to create your first video, from planning to filming to uploading.

Creator Studio Analytics

Learn the terminology of YouTube analytics and which channel and video metrics to focus on.

Monetization

Learn how monetization works, both using YouTube’s built-in monetization opportunities, and other methods and opportunities.

Why the details matter (a story from Pat)

Scary. Intimidating. Overwhelming. These are just some of the words that probably describe how you view the world of YouTube as a content creator. One thing is for sure though, YouTube is where the audience is, and every day you’re not on the platform with videos to potentially find viewers, you’re missing out on reach, impact, and income.

Just putting up a YouTube channel, however, is not good enough. You need a plan — something I wish I had when I started my YouTube journey back in 2009.

When I first started, I didn’t have a roadmap, but after years of mistakes, I finally figured out what worked. Let me tell you, it was like getting Lasik surgery for content creation.

Today, the Pat Flynn YouTube channel has over 360,000 subscribers — but it took a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to get there. In January of 2021, I started a second YouTube channel in a space I knew nothing about — collecting Pokémon cards. In less than a year, I crossed the 100,000 subscriber threshold!

What was the difference?

I finally understood how YouTube works, and I had a plan. Now, both YouTube channels combined earn millions of views and tens of thousands of dollars in earnings per month.

Pat Flynn YouTube channel earnings of $198,926.08
Deep Pocket Monster YouTube channel earnings of $101,451.12

Over the last nine years, I gained a lot of knowledge and experience that I applied to this second channel… and it worked! YouTube doesn’t have to be hard. You just need to have a plan, stick to it, and have a guide to help you along the way. That’s why I created YouTube From Scratch — to help you create a successful YouTube channel faster than I did, without making the same mistakes I made.

Meet your course instructors

Pat Flynn

Hi, my name is Pat Flynn.

As I described above, I’m the host of two YouTube channels, Pat Flynn and Deep Pocket Monster, focused on very different content. I’ve learned a lot of lessons in the process of building them that I’m eager to share so you can build your own channel faster.

Along with these YouTube channels, I’m the founder and co-CEO of SPI Media, which is focused on helping entrepreneurs like you build and grow online businesses. At SPI, you’ll also find my podcast, The Smart Passive Income Podcast.

I’m excited to introduce you to Caleb, my friend and long-time videographer, as well as my business partner at SwitchPod.

Caleb Wojcik headshot

Meet our guest expert, Caleb Wojcik.

Caleb has been making videos for himself and his clients since 2010. He’s a “read the manual” type of nerd and a recovering camera gear addict. Over the years he has helped thousands of people make better videos. He knows not everyone can afford to hire a professional to show up and film great videos for them, so he started teaching people how to do it on their own.

Caleb has filmed the NHL, MLB, NCAA basketball, the Rose Bowl, weddings, commercials, book trailers, and plenty of web videos of online entrepreneurs (such as Pat Flynn, Amy Porterfield, and Chris Guillebeau). He helped co-found Fizzle.co but left in 2014 to start a video production company and teach video production at MakeBetterVideos.com. In 2019, he co-launched SwitchPod with Pat as well.

YouTube From Scratch outline

Welcome, Students!
  • Welcome! Watch This First
  • Office Hours
  • Course Downloads
Module #1: Plan Your YouTube Channel
  • Welcome to This Module. Here’s What’s Next
  • Lesson 01: Choosing Your Niche
  • Lesson 02: What Are They Already Watching?
  • Lesson 03: What’s Your Angle?
  • Lesson 04: Picking Topics
  • Lesson 05: How to Get More Views
  • Lesson 06: The Right Way to Film a Video (Hint: Start with a Title and Thumbnail)
  • Lesson 07: How Long Should Your Videos Be?
  • Lesson 08: How Often Should You Publish?
  • Lesson 09: Next Steps
Module #2: Create & Set Up Your Channel
  • Lesson 01: Creating Your Channel
  • Lesson 02: Branding & Customization
  • Lesson 03: Choosing a Name
  • Lesson 04: Customizing Your Channel Page
  • Lesson 05: How to Upload, Publish & Schedule a Video
Module #3: Publish Your First Video
  • Lesson 01: Pick Your First Video to Film (Title & Thumbnail)
  • Lesson 02: Let’s Plan the Video (Hook, Story, Ending)
  • Lesson 03: “How to Film” Library
  • Lesson 03.1: Face on Camera
  • Lesson 03.2: Screen Recordings
  • Lesson 03.3: Vlogging
  • Lesson 03.4: B-Roll Tips
  • Lesson 03.5: Top-Down/Overhead Videos
  • Lesson 03.6: Engagement Tricks
  • Lesson 4: Editing a YouTube from Start to Finish
  • Lesson 5: Exporting & Starting to Upload Your Video
Module #4: Creator Studio Analytics
  • Lesson 1: Channel Analytics
  • Lesson 2: Individual Video Analytics
  • Lesson 3: CASE STUDY — Pokémon Channel
  • Lesson 4: CASE STUDY — Pat Flynn Channel
  • Lesson 5: CASE STUDY — Caleb Wojcik’s Channel
Module #5: Monetization
  • Lesson 1: Mindset to Reach 1,000 Subs & 4,000 Hours
  • Lesson 2: When You’re Monetized, Here’s What to Do
  • Lesson 3: Other Ways to Generate More Revenue
Closing
  • Final Remarks / Mindset

We believe in community-driven courses

Save 16% with Annual billing

SPI Pro

$299

$999

You have an online business that’s up, running, and generating revenue. You’ve figured out a lot but are unsure where to focus next. And the growing pains are real.

Everything in the All-Access Pass community, plus:

Vetted network of serious pros

Curated member masterminds

Exclusive access to in-house experts

Strategic guidance & tools

“I love logging into Pro because I don’t feel like I’m alone anymore. To see so many other people out there working towards the same thing and supporting each other is amazing. And the community administration is amazing — the checking-in, the answers, the connecting — it’s brilliant. I hope that my community has some of the genie in the bottle that Pro has.”

Ange Wilson

Not sure which membership is right for you?

or compare both plans so we can help you choose your path.