Neil’s resume is beyond impressive. By age 21, the Wall Street Journal named him one of the top influencers on the web, and Entrepreneur Magazine listed him as one of the top entrepreneurs in the nation. In addition to CrazyEgg and KISSmetrics, which are software solutions that are used by some of the top businesses in the world, companies like Amazon, AOL, GM, HP and Viacom, have reached out to Neil to help them make more money using the web.
He helped grow TechCrunch’s traffic by 30% within 60 days. He’s helped Gawker Media websites earn 5 million more visitors in only 3 months, and he writes some of the best and most detailed guides you’ll ever find on the internet, like the ones he wrote (and are freely available) about Advanced SEO and Content Marketing.
Neil knows what’s up, which is why I invited him onto the show.
As you may very well know, I’m currently doing some heavy research before I launch Niche Site Duel 2.0, an experiment and case study where I’ll be picking a topic, building a site from scratch and publicly reporting what I do and what happens here on the blog.
The first time I did this was a major success, but a lot of things have changed since then, which is why I’m connecting with as many people as possible who are getting results today and I’m sharing that information with you.
In case you missed it, here are the other research interviews I’ve conducted so far:
- Interview with Alex Becker from Source Wave
- SPI Podcast Session #66 with Spencer Haws of Niche Pursuits
Out of all the interviews I’ve done so far, including this one, I have a feeling I’ll be using a lot of the strategies Neil talks about more than the others, but we’ll see. I still have a few other people to interview who will be providing some insightful information about what’s working right now, which will give me a wide range of strategies to choose from. We’ll also be able to discover any patterns that all of them have in common, such as high-quality content on our websites, which is a given, but is there more?
Make sure you listen through to the end because I reveal more information about how participation in NSD2.0 by you, if you’re interested, will be handled.
In addition, in this session you’ll find out about:
- Why and how Neil became an entrepreneur at such a young age, and the one thing that he discovered after he started to make lots of money.
- Neil’s thoughts on black hat vs. white hat SEO tactics and the long-term effects of each.
- Two big things that are working in SEO today.
- Why blog posts aren’t the best type of content when utilizing content marketing.
- How podcasting plays a role in SEO.
- How he got suspended by Dropbox for 3 days after sharing an online guide he created after just a few minutes of launching.
- Neil’s thoughts on really really detailed content and how everyone else’s laziness can be used to your advantage.
- The best way to create links to your website.
- The 200 Outreach Program, explained.
- An example of how Neil would contact me via email to get me to possibly link to something that he created.
- How Neil would use Twitter Direct Messages.
- Neil’s take on Keyword Research.
- How Neil is taking advantage of the fact that social signals play an important role in SEO today.
- Why guest blogging is still a viable strategy, but the one thing that you MUST do if you’re running guest posts on other sites.
- On-site SEO and what big name websites are doing wrong – and what we should be paying attention to.
- How your 404 page can help the rest of your site get indexed.
- Everything you need to know about using infographics for SEO.
- How Neil uses a popular black hat tool for white hat marketing tactics.
- Plus a whole lot more!
Here’s a notable quote from Neil that stood out to me during the interview:
“Write about what people want. Search engines will eventually catch up.” (click here to tweet this quote…)
Resources Mentioned in this Podcast Include:
- Qualaroo (formerly KISSinsights)
- The Advanced Guide to SEO
- SPI Podcast Session #55 with Trevor Page
- The Advanced Guide to Content Marketing
- Neil’s TechCrunch Case Study
CLICK HERE to give some love to Neil on Twitter and let him know that you enjoyed the show.
A Question from a Listener…
This session’s voicemail question is from Deborah Richmand from TekkBuzz. She asks:
“What are some (more) specific ways to use text messaging as a strategy in your online business?”
I share my answer (er, actually Greg’s answer) to Deborah’s question at the end of the session.
Question or Feedback? Leave Me a Voicemail!
If you have a question you’d potentially like answered on the show, or just feedback in general (constructive criticism and praise is absolutely welcome!), feel free to visit my voicemail page to quickly and easily leave me a message. I may feature you and your question on the show just like Deborah’s!
Thank you all for checking out this session of the SPI podcast. Make sure you subscribe to the podcast so you can get updated sessions delivered right to you as they come out.
Finally, if you haven’t done so already, I would love if you took a minute to leave a quick (and honest) rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below! It would be extremely helpful!
Thanks again for spending some time listening to the show today, I appreciate you!