Planning and running a live event is one of the most daunting challenges out there, but that didn't stop Ronsley Vaz from putting the We Are Podcast conference together in Australia in 2015 . . . with no prior experience. He's learned a ton since then, and this year I'm speaking at the fourth ever We Are Podcast. If you've ever thought of running a live event, or maybe you just want a peek behind-the-scenes, you're in for a treat!
So when it comes to running a live event, where do you even start? What are the costs, what are the hidden costs, and how do you get people to buy tickets? Ronsley's been there. He's got some great insight for us today: How to book speakers and balance cashflow, how to utilize partnerships, how to craft an attendee experience . . . this episode is packed with useful tips and strategies.
But there's another, sort-of-selfish reason I invited Ronsley onto the show. If you haven't heard, I'm putting on an event in the summer of 2019—a family-friendly event that you can learn more about at FlynnCON1.com. It's making me very nervous, to be honest. Whenever I learn something new, I go to people who have actually done what I'm trying to do so I can learn from their experience. That's what today is all about, so let's get started with Ronsley Vaz from We Are Podcast!
If you missed me at We Are Podcast 2018, you can actually purchase a virtual ticket at WeArePodcast.com/2018. If you enter the code “IknowPat” (without the quotes) you'll get a 25 percent discount as well as access to the previous three years of We Are Podcast speakers. This is exclusive to SPI listeners only, so thanks so much again to Ronsley!
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Ronsley Vaz for joining me this week. Until next time!
Want to run a live event? Let the creator of the We Are Podcast conference give you the inside scoop—from navigating cashflow challenges to booking speakers and everything in between.
- How Ronsley planned the first We Are Podcast conference with no prior event planning experience.
- How to juggle the unique cashflow challenges of budgeting and planning an event.
- Why partnerships can be essential for a successful conference.
- How Ronsley strategizes the attendee experience for We Are Podcast.
- How Ronsley works with speakers to tailor their presentations to his event.
- Strategies for convincing speakers to come to a brand-new event.
- What changes Ronsley implemented for year two of We Are Podcast.
- What hidden, surprising costs you can expect from running an event.
- The tough lessons Ronsley learned from running the first We Are Podcast.
- Tips for working with an event team, and more!
Note: Some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I receive a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.