This is one of the most honest and authentic interviews I've done in a long time. The conversation topic is kind of meta: We're talking about the art of crafting unforgettable interviews. My guest today is Andrew Warner from Mixergy.com, who delivers game-changing interviews on his podcast by being authentic and vulnerable. Whether you've ever interviewed before, or plan to invite guests on your podcast or YouTube channel, you're going to learn some amazing tips and best practices in this one, including one of the most mind-blowing tips that I've heard in a very long time. Let's dive in!
The first time Andrew and I spoke was when I was invited on Mixergy. Honestly, it was kind of nerve-wracking for me, because Andrew is known as a very hardcore, authentic, honest interviewer. I was nervous, but being on his show was actually a pivotal moment in my life, which is why I'm so excited for him to share his strategies and mindset with you today.
When it comes to his philosophy on interviewing, Andrew builds his approach with honesty, authenticity, and a lot of research. It's amazing how he's able to get the most incredible details and stories from his guests while still keeping the atmosphere both respectful and comfortable for both parties. I know that his approaches will inspire you to level-up your game as an interviewer, or give you a very solid foundation if you're just getting started. He's who I look to for interviewing techniques, and I know there's so much in this episode that will help you in your business too. Hit play and let's get this party started!
If you go to Mixergy.com/flynn you can get a free list of amazing techniques that you can use in your own interviews. Thanks to Andrew for providing this to the SPI Community! And by the way, if you want to hear my 2013 interview on Mixergy, just follow this link.
I've been doing a bunch of live webinars and free trainings recently, and I'd love to see you at the next one! If you want to see when the next training is, and also where I'm speaking next, go to SmartPassiveIncome.com/live. If you're looking for help on starting a podcast, how to do affiliate marketing, or even if you're starting a business from scratch, that's where to go. See you there!
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Andrew Warner for joining me this week. Until next time!
Ever interview someone for your podcast or YouTube channel? Learn tips and mindsets for hosting interviews that inspire, demand attention, and make a true impact for listeners.
- Why being on Andrew's show was the second-most nervous I've ever been.
- Where Andrew's entrepreneurial journey began and what he's driving toward now.
- Why it helps to give your guest a reason for the questions you ask.
- What one book taught Andrew how to approach conversations.
- How Andrew prepares himself and his interviewees for a live interview on his show.
- Why Andrew always guides his interviews toward stories, and why they're so important.
- The research process that Andrew uses for every interview.
- How to get an interviewee to say yes if you're just getting started as an interviewer.
- The effective strategy that Andrew used for getting Seth Godin on his podcast.
- Why Andrew listens to a diverse roster of podcasts, even ones he hates, and more!
Note: Some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I receive a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- My interview with Andrew on Mixergy
- Influence: The Power of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini [Amazon affiliate link]
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie [Amazon affiliate link]
- Business Wars Podcast
- 30 for 30 Podcasts
- Andrew's Spreadsheet of Interview Techniques