I first saw today's guest on a TED Talk. His name is Jia Jiang, and his talk was titled, “Surprising Lessons from 100 Days of Rejection.” It's one of those TED Talks you start watching and find you can't stop—it's that good.
In the video, Jia talked a lot about struggling with rejection, particularly as an entrepreneur. He'd faced some hard blows trying to get his business off the ground, and hearing “no” time and time again was affecting his willingness to take risks.
Then Jia did something totally unexpected: He began seeking out rejection. For 100 days, he purposefully put himself in situations where he knew he'd be told “no.” Soon, bouncing back from rejection became second nature.
I bet a lot of us can relate to Jia's struggle with rejection. It's the kind of fear that keeps us from taking risks and seeking out life-changing opportunities, because we're so afraid of hearing the word “no.” That's why I had to bring him on to share his story with you.
Get ready to be inspired. Who knows—you might even want to try out one of Jia's rejection challenges yourself!
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you'd like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The SPI Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions (or would like answers to hear previously submitted voicemail questions!), head on over to AskPat.com. This bite-sized show has over two million downloads and counting!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
A special thanks to Jia for joining me this week and sharing his incredible story. Until next time!
Here today to discuss the nitty-gritty of coping with rejection and failure is entrepreneur Jia Jiang.
- The story behind Jia's 100 Days of Rejection.
- Insights from Jia's first, rejection-filled days as an entrepreneur.
- How our brains react to rejection.
- How you can learn to manage your own fear.
- Why “the safe side” is not always the best side.
- Jia's most surprising rejection attempt.
- Two Rejection Challenges for you to try on your own.
- Live audio from Pat's attempt at a Rejection Challenge, and more!
- 100 Days of Rejection
- Rejection Therapy Day 3 video – Ask for Olympic Symbol Doughnuts
- Surprising Lessons From 100 Days of Rejection: Jia Jiang at TEDxAustin
- Rejection Proof
- Larry Smith's TED Talk: Why you will fail to have a great career
- Rejection Therapy game
- The 4-Hour Workweek
Ryan Moran’s in-depth passive income podcast
Click the button to the right to download the whole episode in PDF form from start to finish.