Thomas Frank is a massively successful YouTuber and the creator of CollegeInfoGeek.com. We've been friends for a while, and this episode has been a long time coming. We're sitting down to chat about how he built his brand, how he got into the online business world, and the strategies, tips, tools, and tricks that he's using to kill it on YouTube.
If you've ever thought about building a niche site or launching a YouTube channel, you won't want to miss out on this episode! Thomas has crafted an invaluable, supportive website in the student success niche, and his Resource page is one of the best on the web. I actually use it as an example for my affiliate marketing students. Thomas's Essential Books for Students page is another inspiring resource page.
Thomas stumbled into the online space without thinking too much of it, but once he hit his first breakthrough, he caught the bug and couldn't stop. Now he has a highly-successful YouTube channel and personal brand. We're diving deep into his YouTube strategy to find out how he found his stride, and how he designs videos like “The Method Elon Musk Uses to Manage His Time” for success. Thomas is bringing loads of nuanced strategies and tips to the table, so grab something to write with, because this episode is stuffed with gold nuggets that you won't want to forget. Let's do this!
In this episode, I mention a picture of Frank and I from BlogWorld in 2012. Here it is (check out how young we look)!
Oh also—that home-video ninja video that Frank mentions at the top of the episode? I got it for you guys! From ninja videos to videos on Elon Musk, Frank's clearly been killing it from a young age :-).
I'm starting to do more live trainings on Smart Passive Income: Podcasting, affiliate marketing, how to get started, finding your niche—you name it. We're doing live trainings every month now. You can register, watch me live, and learn some new things by visiting SmartPassiveIncome.com/trainings.
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Special thanks to Thomas Frank for joining me this week. Until next time!
Get ready for a masterclass in YouTube strategy, personal branding, and niche blogging with the creator of College Info Geek.
- How one rejected blog post launched Thomas's online career.
- Why Thomas keeps his personal and business branding separate.
- Why certain videos get more plays, and how Thomas draws viewers to his channel.
- The one question you should ask yourself when planning YouTube content.
- Why experimentation is key to finding your rhythm on YouTube.
- How Thomas uses scripts, editing, and multiple takes to craft the perfect video.
- The difference between A and B roll, and when to use each.
- How the concept of familiarity translates to crafting engaging, entertaining YouTube videos.
- How Thomas grew a 200k+ email list with one free book.
- Thomas's advice for reaching the breakthrough point with your YouTube channel.
- The tools, programs, and resources that Thomas uses to finesse his videos, and more!
Note: Some of the resources below may be affiliate links, meaning I receive a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- College Info Geek
- Hack College
- Nerd Fitness
- Thomas Frank on YouTube
- The Method Elon Musk Uses to Manage His Time
- Best Business Book (My Top Recommendation)
- Epidemic Sound
- Kevin MacLeod – Incompetech
- College Info Geek Resources
- Ten Steps to Earning Awesome Grades
- Smart Passive Income Trainings
Click the button to the right to download the whole episode in PDF form from start to finish.