It’s that time of the year again—the time when we all start to think about what we want to accomplish in the next year.
I know many of you have already thought about what your New Year’s resolutions will be and what you’d like to see happen, but have you given any thought to what you don’t want to do in 2010? Most of us don’t think about our goals this way, but I invite you to do so because understanding what you don’t want to do can help you achieve exactly what you want to do.
An “un-goal” is related to something that could stop you from achieving what you want to do. So for example, if one of your goals was to lose weight in 2010, an “un-goal” would be goal related to something that could stop you from losing weight:
I will not eat fast food more than once a week.
I will not miss a scheduled gym appointment.
This is basically an exercise to take your main goals and break them down into smaller, more manageable goals. If you wanted to, you can go even further and break down your un-goals into smaller un-goals, to get an even clearer picture of exactly what you have to do. Note the “I will not…” at the beginning of each un-goal, which is an important call-to-action type phrase that is more than just a bullet point on a list.
I have several goals and related un-goals for the new year. Here are just a few that you may be able to relate to:
- Goal: Grow the Smart Passive Income Blog to 6000 RSS readers by Dec. 31, 2010.
- Un-goals: I will not post less than 3 blog posts a week. I will not stop sharing content that I find useful. I will not stop learning how to increase the number of subscribers through design and conversion optimization.
- Goal: Continue to spend as much time with my family as possible.
- Un-goals: I will not work more than 4 hours a day. I will not stop working for myself. I will not work inefficiently. I will not forget to cherish every waking moment I spend with my family.
- Goal: Start broadcasting the Smart Passive Income Podcast.
- Un-goals: I will not be afraid to get on the microphone. I will not forget to start attending a local Toastmasters chapter meeting to improve my speaking capabilities. I will not settle for mediocre recording quality.
How About You?
I’d love to hear one of your goals and related un-goals for the upcoming year. It doesn’t have to be related to online business or blogging – anything that you want to accomplish and really focus on next year is game.
I still have a few 4-Hour Work Week (new edition) books to give away, so leave a goal and your related ungoals in the comments, and I’ll randomly select two of you to send a copy to, on me. Be sure to include a working email address in your entry so I can contact you via email if you’re selected.
Cheers, and here’s to a safe, healthy and prosporous 2010 for all of us. Happy New Year!
If you haven’t subscribed to the blog and would like to help me reach 6000 RSS subscribers by the end of next year, you can do so by subscribing here!
Update: Congratulations to Matthew Parrott, and Valerie, who were randomly selected to receive a free copy of The 4-Hour Workweek! Thank you all for your comments, and I hope to hear from you again soon in future blog posts!