SEO Competition and How URL Competition Plays a Role29 Comments
If you know a little bit about search engine optimization (SEO) or have seen my free keyword research webinar replay, you’ll know that there are two important factors that determine the viability of a keyword:
- The amount of search traffic a particular keyword receives; and
- The competition for that particular keyword.
Both of these factors are what we investigate when performing keyword research because a keyword that isn’t being searched for isn’t worth our time (generally speaking), and also one that has a lot of competition may be too difficult to rank for.
On the competition side of things, there are a lot of factors to consider:
- The total amount of other websites that mention the particular keyword.
- The total amount of other websites that mention the particular keyword specifically in the title.
- The off-page SEO factors of existing websites that are already ranking highly for the particular keyword, including domain age, page rank and quantity & quality of backlinks.
- The on-page SEO factors of existing websites that are already ranking highly for the particular keyword, including having the keyword in the title, url, description and header of those sites.
Luckily, Market Samurai (free trial) has made finding all of this information extremely easy. And yesterday, there was an update to the software that added an additional factor to help us understand the competition surrounding different keywords: the URL Competition. (more…)