Please note that this strategy was written in late 2010. Although it does still work, it doesn’t work quite as well as it used to, since quite a bit has changed in the world of search engine optimization since then.
UPDATE: A more recent version of this post has been published, with techniques and strategies for link building that work in 2014 and beyond.
CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE UPDATED BACKLINKING STRATEGY THAT WORKS POST.
CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE UPDATED BACKLINKING STRATEGY THAT WORKS POST.
Exactly 12 hours after I posted my previous niche site duel update, my niche site took a giant leap from #117 in Google (where it was sitting for about 5 days), to #58, and now it’s sitting at #53. This was very encouraging because it means that my backlinking strategy is totally working, which is perfect timing because that’s exactly what I’m going to share with you today.
(sidenote: I’ve been getting a lot of emails about how to check your rankings in the search engines lately. Answer: How to Find Your Google Keyword SERPs Ranking)
To quickly reiterate, backlinks (links from other websites to yours) are the key to moving up the ranks of search engines. The quality is far more important than the actual number of backlinks, so it’s our goal to get them primarily from sites that have a high Google Page Rank.
There are a ton of different ways to get backlinks, but I’m only going to share with you my specific techniques that I’m using specifically for this niche site duel.
Publish Excellent Content
No matter what niche you’re in, you should always be publishing excellent content on your site. This is a no brainer, but many times we often put aside creating excellent content for other strategies that will help us rank higher.
Sure, you may climb the search engines, but what happens when you’re on the first page of Google and start to see traffic? They bounce off your site like a rubber ball because you’ve got crappy content.
Furthermore, with superb content you’re more likely to get backlinks in the most natural form possible – from people wanting to link to your content simply because your content rules.
As I mentioned in Niche Site Duel 004: My Content Strategy, I have a content strategy that may easily position my site as one of the most helpful websites available on the subject. If I can create the “go to” website for my niche, then backlinks will happen naturally and Google will love it.
Article Marketing / Web 2.0 Sites
This is similar to what Tyrone has outlined in his most recent video (see the niche site duel hub), but I’ve added a few things.
I will include a video (soon) that walks you through my process and gives you an over-the-shoulder look, but here’s a quick breakdown for now:
- I get set of backlinks by posting articles on the following article directories:
- I also get a set of backlinks by creating free blogs and posting content on the following web 2.0 sites:
- To speed things up bigtime and make the content part of all this much easier (since this is A LOT of content that needs to be written), I use a couple of handy tools (aff links):
Instant Article Factory is excellent for creating quick content that I primarily use on my web 2.0 sites.
The Best Spinner has saved me the most time throughout this whole process, because what I do is:
- Write a good, unique article (between 350 and 600 words), and then post it on the primary niche site.
- I then use the tool to spin the article and then submit it to EzineArticles.
- I repeat by re-spinning and re-submitting the article to all of the various article directories. All of my spun articles have been approved so far, including on EzineArticles.
- I then re-spin the same article and use it on my Web 2.0 sites too.
Note: This allows me to “repurpose” my original article in a unique way that generates more backlinks without have to write more. That being said, when I use The Best Spinner (trial) to spin my articles, I make sure to read each of the spun articles before I submit them. This is important to me, and I recommend insist that you take the time to read through each uniquely spun article yourself before submitting them to make sure you’re not publishing content that doesn’t make sense.
Also, it is not an easy button, as it does take time to go through each word or phrase and select synonyms, but it really saves me a lot of time in the end.
Backlinks for my Backlinks
To give the backlinks from my anchor sites a little more “SEO Juice”, which will ultimately flow down to my primary site, I hit the anchors with mass social bookmarking and even more article submissions. I usually do this right away (after they are created or approved), so they are rapidly indexed.
You could use a tool like Bookmarking Demon to almost automatically submit to hundreds of bookmarking sites, but to be honest it’s a really expensive deal. I like to just spend 30 minutes using a free tool from SocialMarker to do the trick.
I’m also exploring mass article submissions as a way to boost my backlinks using tools like Automatic Article Submitter and Unique Article Wizard, which can send out hundreds of articles in a day to various smaller article directories around the web. I can’t recommend either of those two programs yet since I’m still getting familiar with them, but UAW looks promising. I’ll keep you updated.
So to sum things up, I’m essentially creating a mini-network of articles and blogs around my main site, with an outer ring of “boosters”. I will occasionally link the web 2.0 properties to each other and the articles as well.
I do have a few other strategies that I know about that I may try in the future, but for now this is it, and it seems to be working quite well. Hopefully within a few weeks I can get onto or close to the first page and then begin my monetization plan, which I’m really excited about and will share with you in a later update.
Until then, Cheers!
Other Posts in The Niche Site Duel Series
- Niche Site Duel: I’ve Been Challenged, and I Accept! (8/16)
- Niche Site Duel 002: Finding a Profitable Niche – My Process Revealed (8/18)
- Oops. The Niche I Selected is Bad, and Here’s Why (8/20)
- Niche Site Duel 003: How to Setup a Niche Site – Before You Add Content (8/25)
- Niche Site Duel 004: My Content Strategy (9/10)
- Niche Site Duel 005: My Backlinking Boo Boo (9/13)
- Niche Site Duel 006: My Backlinking Strategy (9/14)
- Niche Site Duel 007: Ranking and Traffic (and Earnings!) Update (9/29)
- Niche Site Duel 008: My Monetization Strategy (10/26)
- Niche Site Duel 009: I’m On The First Page of Google! (10/27)
- Niche Site Duel 010: I’m Ranked Number One in Google!! (11/8)
- Niche Site Duel 011: THE Backlinking Strategy That Works (11/10)
- Niche Site Duel 012: An Experiment and Income Update (11/29)
- Niche Site Duel 013: CPA Promotions, Private Advertising, Job Board and Income Report(1/14)
- My 275% Increase in Adsense Revenue (1/26)
- Niche Site Earnings and Directory Listing Update (3/11)
- I Was Just Offered Five Figures For My Niche Site! (5/11)
- Niche Site Update – New Content, Record Earnings, and What’s Next (5/26)
- Niche Site Duel – One Year Later (Earnings and Traffic Update (8/15)